Making Progress

I showed you a picture of Ellie’s quilt back in December.  At that point, I’d actually pieced the top and back in time to give them to her for Christmas.  Then I didn’t touch it until yesterday.

Now I have the “quilt sandwich” done and it’s completely pinned.  Now I just have to decide how to quilt it, actually quilt it, make the binding, and bind it.  My goal is to finish it before the end of March!

This entry was posted in sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Making Progress

1. Nicole says:

Laura! This is so cute! So glad I could see the results of all that strip piecing you’ve been doing. Can’t wait to see the finish product. Perhaps you can quilt it with straight lines? My only other thought would be to send it out to be quilted but I’m sure that’s not your goal…

2. meggan says:

pins. i’ve never pinned a quilt sandwich. i really should read how to do this stuff properly instead of having 5 mismatched inches in every such direction to cut and smoosh into a botched up binding. -shakes head at self-

i love how ellie has coordinated with all of you projects on your blog. she’s so fashion 😉

Meggan – they have these special safety pins (at Joann’s or wherever) that have the bottom part curved. So they’re easy to get to come back up through. And I used 120 on a little quilt, which is probably overkill but I will say that so far, the fabric really hasn’t shifted too badly, especially considering that it’s flannel. So the pins are highly recommended! The other option is to use spray basting but I hate the idea of using chemicals that I don’t have to so pins it is for me.

3. Aunt Zona says:

Oh, that is turning out beautifully! I am curious about the size, as that is hard to determine from the picture. I agree that it is considerate of Ellie to coordinate her clothing to match your project du jour! You do have a gift for this sewing stuff, Laura, and the fact that you have studied it carefully is really paying off. Your work is very good!

Thank you Zona! I just love sewing – I’m calling it “sewing as therapy” actually – look for a blog post of that title coming soon! The blanket is about 20 by 52 (basically the size of a crib mattress). And I hadn’t noticed Ellie’s matching outfit – you’re right! I’ll thank her for that when she wakes up!

4. Zona says:

I have to say that Meggan’s comment about Ellie’s outfit brought it to my attention! Very interesting about the quilting pins…

5. Pingback: Sewing as therapy « Salmon and Souvlaki

6. Pingback: Finish Up Friday: 2015 Edition – Look! Ellie’s Doll Has Hair! | Salmon and Souvlaki

7. Pingback: Finish It Up Friday – Final Update of 2015 (don’t fall over in shock) | Salmon and Souvlaki