In an effort to redeem a lovely color from the exploitation and awfulness being perpetuated under its banner, this week, I present to you, “Five Shades of Grey.” (As, always, my debate is “gray” or “grey”?)
What I accomplished this week:
1. I fixed and then embellished my grey skirt. I started out by affixing one hexagon to patch the tear in the fabric right at the top of the kick split and then decided that looked a bit funny by itself.
So I got a bit carried away and added six more. Then I decided they needed to be sewn on but I couldn’t sew the top one by machine because of the split in the skirt. So I zigzagged them all by hand, which was a luxurious waste of time during yesterday morning’s snow day. (This one counts for two shades of gray – the original skirt and the embellishment).
And yes, I know, it felt a bit silly to do all this work for the back of my skirt but I did have a lot of fun doing the embellishment. It makes me want to do it to more of my clothes.
2. I hemmed Nik’s dark gray pants, using his light gray pants as a length guide.
3. I altered Nik’s UnderArmour shirt so that it fit him better. Although he bought what should have been the correct size, it was super baggy on him. I took out about 2.5 inches on both sides from the sleeve and body of the shirt and now it fits him great!
[The rest of these projects aren’t grey but we’ll let them in anyway.]
4. I finished the base for the hair on Mark’s doll. Somehow, the circle got off center so I had to do some annoying sewing to get it to look right. (Can you tell I’ll be glad when this project is finally over?)
5. I fixed the office shade. I wish those little rings would stop breaking!
6. Finally, I sewed a button back on Ellie’s little doll wallet that Yiayia made for her. She’s been carrying it around, stuffed with a diaper and calling it her “tissue”! 🙂
The List (as of 2/27/2015) – It’s short now, although all the projects that are left are longer, trickier ones.
- Add the “hair” to the hair base of Mark’s doll and the feet too.
- Quilt the table runner that I almost finished last spring
- Finish the dining room shades that I have been avoiding for
3 YEARSSIX years! SIX!! I recently came across this post (from January 2010) in which I wrote that I needed to work on sewing my dining room curtains, with fabric that we had had for over a year. Translation: We’ve had the fabric since sometime in 2008! In my defense, just one week after I posted that “start the dining rooms curtains” post, we found out that we were pregnant with our first child, who ended up being Ellie. So I’ve been a bit busy since then. NOT in my defense, I’ve managed to sew plenty of other projects since then. Anyway, I am determined NOT to have to write about the shades for too many more weeks!
And on a complete unrelated note, happy birthday to my dear sister, Rachel! I love you!