Last week, Nik went downstairs for another jar of strawberry jam and came up with this:
That’s right, that’s a jar of strawberry jam, being consumed by mold. Evidently, I didn’t notice that one of the jars hadn’t sealed when I put them into storage last summer. So, for the past 15 months, it’s been living open to the environment.
I was going to title this post, “When Canning Goes Horribly Wrong” but decided “horribly wrong” should be reserved for something truly horrible – like someone getting hurt or dying. And no one did. We didn’t eat it, of course (despite my teasing Nik that I would just scrape the mold off and the bottom would be fine).
Let this be a lesson to you – make sure all your jars are sealed before storing them! I’m not sure why I didn’t catch this one because I usually fanatically check mine multiple times. Oh well. It made for an interesting science experiment. 🙂