I must confess to feeling a bit superior over the last couple years as I came across posts in the sewing blog world about all the WIPs (works in progress) that people had.
“I don’t sew that way,” I liked to tell myself. “I start a project and finish it before moving on to the next one. I don’t have the luxury of having multiple projects going at once. I finish what I set out to do. I, therefore, am morally superior.”
But a couple days ago, as I started writing down all the projects I wanted to do in 2014, I realized that a significant portion of them were, as I blush in embarrassment, WIPs. And so, in order to motivate myself to finally finish them, I’m designating January/February as my months to get all these projects done. I’ve forbidden myself from starting anything new (other than a couple quick projects which have set Jan/Feb deadlines).
I’ll try to post here every Friday with what I’ve finished during the week. I’m planning to join up with “Finish It Up Friday” at Crazy Mom Quilts to give myself a little motivation to keep going.
And, I’ll try to use this as a good lesson every time I feel morally superior again. 🙂
The List of Shame
- fix the living room shades (annoyingly falling apart)
- fix the office shades (also falling apart)
- Ellie’s doll hair (it’s been over a year and Ellie’s not bald anymore so I really can’t justify her doll’s baldness anymore.)
- put the last button and buttonhole on Ellie’s dress (I think I figured out how to do it on my machine.)
- fix Mark’s bunny (because I washed it accidentally and the stuffing shrunk)
- Mark’s birthday quilt (I just started this a week ago and I have a lot done already)
- dining room shades (they’re so close to being done and have just been sitting for close to 18 months)
- pillow for Ellie (not technically a WIP because I haven’t started it but it’s been on the “to sew” list for months)
- fix Nik’s T-shirt quilt (and finally blog the finished quilt, two years later)
- fix Mark’s pants (the crotch tore out)
- fix my [store-bought] tank top (one strap broke)
- fix the hot pad glove (there’s a hole in the thumb)
- finish Ellie’s felt bird, “because I want one like Selah.”
- fix the bathroom curtain