Oh Yeah! A Blue Ribbon For Me!

I won!  I’m the official first place winner in the 2013 Maryland State Fair category N-5, “Dolls and Stuffed Animals – Toy or game other than doll or stuffed animal, no wood.”

IMG_6681 (2)How’s that for a happy smile?

IMG_6682 (2)

Thanks to my friend, Emily, who stepped in as our official photographer.  We inconveniently forgot to take our camera with us when we went to the fair on Sunday.  I, being the nerdy sewing-obsessed person that I am, could have spent our entire time in the Home Arts building.  So much to look at!  I am determined to enter a quilt next year along with a bag and maybe a dress that I’ve sewn for Ellie.  (That would require me to sew a quilt, a bag, and a dress by the next fair of course.)

Thanks to all my friends who have found my book at the fair and sent me congratulations!  It was a fun first entry.  Next  year, we’re determined to dominate the Home Arts and Garden competitions.  We’ll let you know how it goes!

P.S. Now I just have the trouble of not spending my $8 prize all in one place! 🙂  ($8 before taxes that is, because yes, I did have to provide my SSN for IRS purposes.)

P.P.S In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I was the only person who entered my particular category.  That’s my new plan – I’m going to look at this year’s list of of results, choose all the categories with very few entrants and dominate those.  Just think of how rich I will be when I win all those unpopular categories!  Here are some categories I’m considering: wood carving (mythical creature), painting on slate, knitted poncho, felted hat, and Christmas stocking.  And, I’m now a bit mad at myself because I just discovered that there was only one entry in the “Christmas decoration, other” category, which means I just forfeited a guaranteed 2nd place by not entering my Christmas tree skirt!  Oh well.  Now I know!

This entry was posted in sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Oh Yeah! A Blue Ribbon For Me!

1. Mom says:

Congratulations! There is always next year for the Christmas skirt!

Thanks Mom! Unfortunately, it’s only stuff made between fair to fair that you can enter. So I’m out of luck for the tree skirt. I guess I’ll just have to make another one! 🙂

2. Emily says:

I thought it was great how Nik was pointing out that the same two ladies (with the same last name, no less) won all the bakin categories!

Also- I am prett sure I can knit a poncho with my eyes closed in a couple hours. I should consider entering….

3. Eliz. K says:

Congratulations! That’s really fun! I was wondering how it went!

(re: your pps, my siblings and I realized that same thing about the “youth” entries at our county fair when we were of that age… we dominated said youth entries for the next few years, my sister in wood carving (non-mythical creatures) no less 🙂 Even when there is little/no competition, it is thrilling to get a blue ribbon! Fun stuff!!)

Awesome!! I’m glad to know that my crazy scheme might actually work. And yes, a blue ribbon is a blue ribbon, regardless of the competition! Tell your sister she’s my hero!

4. Congratulations!

Also, I love your tree skirt!

Thanks Dani! I’m so bummed I forgot to enter it! It was super fun to make. A good thing to help get me through my last few weeks of pregnancy with Mark.

5. katiebmore says:

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Congratulations! How wonderful!

7. That’s cool! I hadn’t even thought of even entering my baskets, but I plan to do that in the future. Good going Laura! So proud of you!

8. Pingback: Trimming the Tree (and the tree skirt in action!) | Salmon and Souvlaki

9. Pingback: I’m an Official State Fair Exhibitor, Times Five! | Salmon and Souvlaki